Saturday, April 28, 2012

Girls, Girls, Girls


I have boys. Needless to say I do not often hear the gossip talk that young girls share between themselves. I mostly hear talk that has to do with bodily functions, pranking people, inventing, crafting, or video games. Not that boys don't have their downfalls too, but gossip is one thing that I don't hear much of when I'm around my boys and their friends.



Add a few girls into the mix at a social event or something and that's when I hear the things girls talk about. Not all girls, but I have heard these things often enough (and can draw from my own girl-hood experiences) to know that it happens quite a bit. I was so saddened the other day when I heard two girls (not any that I know personally) who were about 9-11 years old, and were just ripping apart this other girl who goes to their school. 


I was at the ice skating rink and as I looked out from above to watch the kids skating around and around, these two tween girls stood next to me and laid out the details of how they "hated" this one girl who was out on the rink because she was so skinny. They shared the details of how you could see her ribs and that her stomach was so tiny, you couldn't even see it. "She's anorexia," they stated several times. They went on to say how gross it was that she was so skinny, etc., etc.


It was horrible! It was all I could do to bite my tongue and not interject something into their conversation. Anyway, it made me think about how girls and women cut each other down so much. I could write an entire book about it, and we all know there are so many things that add to our tendency to gossip and put each other down, so I won't get into that.


This is just a reminder to watch how we talk about people and maybe listen in on your kids to see if they're doing this to one another. It can be a terrible habit and the more we do it, the more naturally it comes to us. As women, and as Christians, we have so much counting against us in this world anyway, why add to the burden on our shoulders? We shouldn't cut each other down, nor allow our daughters to do so. Let's teach them to build one another up and pray for each other. Just something that's been on my mind for the past few days and I can't seem to shake it. So, I figured I'd share it instead!



No comments:

Post a Comment