Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Please Don't Close Your Eyes...


While drawing my blood! I once fainted upon seeing my oldest son's blood drawn at the lab. It made me sick to see that the phlebotomist couldn't find a vein and was prodding around looking for one that would cooperate. I don't do well with blood or needles.


Today as they drew my blood, the phlebotomist to my right joked that MY phlebotomist liked to close her eyes just before she put the needle in--this was just after I told them I had to look away from the needle.




I tried to be open-minded in thinking she was just trying to be funny and help me stay relaxed. But, REALLY? How would that help me relax? And then I started thinking about her statement. Oh my gosh. Was she actually telling the truth, but just making a joke out of it because she knew nobody would actually believe it? I was scared.


I clenched my teeth. Stopped. Took some deep breaths, and sang the first worship song that came to my head. She stuck the needle into my arm and proceeded to take 3 or 4 tubes of my blood (which flowed freely because I drank almost 2 bottles of water in the waiting room). When she was done, I thanked her for not hurting me. I think she was the gentlest phlebotomist I have ever had. Maybe the secret is that she closed her eyes! 






No comments:

Post a Comment