Monday, April 9, 2012

Rattlesnakes & Safety


While hiking yesterday, my world was shaken when my 7-year-old's voice rang through my ears saying "SNAKE!" Quickly, but very calmly, he alerted both my husband and me that there was a snake in our path.




I, not knowing the correct protocol, grabbed my son's arm and pulled him down the hill with me as I ran away. I didn't scream though--so that's two points for me. Whoohoo! But, you can bet I was like Speedy Gonzalez racing down that hill. My husband slowly descended behind us.


When we got to the bottom of the hill, my husband kindly told me that the right way to get away from a snake is to back away SLOWLY, rather than make sudden movements. Duly noted! Next time I will try not to run. It's not cool, though, when there's a rattlesnake at your feet and the path to get away from it is weedy, rocky, and bumpy. It would've been nice to have a straight shot out of harm's way. 


Well, we got out of there safely, and my son saved the day. He was excited about that! But I realized if we had gotten bitten, I wouldn't have had the slightest idea what to do. So, here are some tips from the professionals about what you should do if you or your kids get bitten by a snake.


Do:


1) Move the victim away from the snake, but keep them, and yourself, as calm as possible. You don't want to elevate their heart rate too much.


2) Gently clean the snake bite with mild soap and water (if possible)


3) Lift the bitten limb to a point that is level with their heart.
     Raising it above their heart could speed up the distribution of 
     venom to other parts of the body. But leaving it below the heart
     could lead to increased swelling of the bitten limb.


4) Remove jewelry or constricting clothing before swelling begins

5) Get them to the nearest emergency room ASAP


DO NOT:


1) Suck venom from the wound, apply a tourniquet, apply ice, or cut 
    the venom from the wound.


2) Take pain reliever unless instructed to do so by a doctor




*Most snakes will not strike unless they're aggravated. So, if you just leave it alone, you usually won't get bitten. Although it is possible to die from a snake bite, with proper medical care, it is rare. So, stay calm, get to the emergency room, & try to remember what the snake looked like so you can describe it to the doctor. With this beautiful weather, we'll be outside a lot and hiking is one activity we  love. Now we're all prepared in case more snakes cross our paths. Have fun & be safe!


For more safety information about snakes visit these websites:


Texas State Health Department
Rattlesnake FAQs
California Department of Fish and Game

No comments:

Post a Comment