Thursday, March 15, 2012

Encyclopedia Britannica


When my husband told me the news about the publishers of Encyclopedia Britannica, I laughed. I genuinely thought he was kidding. But, when I searched for it online, news stories popped up all over the place about how the publishers announced they will no longer be producing hardbound copies of these reference books. I have to admit, as a book junkie, I was a bit saddened.




I remember visiting homes in which the families had a set of these reference books lining their bookshelves. When I saw these books it always made me think the people were rich--it's funny, as I was researching this news I did come across information stating that in the mid-20th century owning a set of the Encyclopedia Britannica was a status symbol. 


After a day has passed, I've come to terms with the news, but it does seem like a turning point in history. Yes, we've been digital for what seems like ages now, but there's something nostalgic about a hard copy of an Encyclopedia Britannica. And yes, this is coming from someone who would rather hold a book in her hands than an electronic gadget that contains the words to the same book. It's just not the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment