Friday, March 2, 2012

Science at it's Best

Since we've been into owls and birds a lot lately, we made an impromptu stop at the local nature center. I figured we'd stop by and check out the rehabilitated birds. I should've known it wouldn't end there. Our quick stop turned into an hour and a half of bird watching, museum strolling, critter hunting fun! 
We even got a mini tour & science lesson from two volunteers who were headed up the creek to find the toad they saw there yesterday. This guy was more than twice my age, but had the energy of a bouncy young child--it was great! The best part was that they weren't even working. They were finished for the day, but wanted to take some pictures of the toad and invited us along the way. And on that short walk we learned about plants that give mules gas, why the FBI shows up in the wild, and we even learned a few jokes.

At first, I wanted to rush home after we saw the red-tailed hawk--I wanted to do school. But then I realized we were already doing school. What a great way to spend the afternoon. 

 Sometimes I have to step back and remember why we homeschool. Today I stepped back and remembered that it's okay to school outside the box.

No comments:

Post a Comment